Gillibrand Announces 2019 Service Academy Nominations From Long Island
Gillibrand Nominates Twelve Students from Long Island for Service Academies
Washington, DC – U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, today announced her nominations for candidates from Long Island to the United States Merchant Marine, Air Force, Military, and Naval Academies.
“I am honored to nominate such dedicated and talented students from Long Island to our nation’s service academies. They have demonstrated exemplary leadership abilities and an outstanding academic record, as well as a passion to serve our nation,” said Senator Gillibrand. “Our service academies cultivate top-tier officers who bravely protect our nation, and I look forward to these nominees’ successes as they further their education and continue their commitment to our country in the armed forces.”
A selection committee formed by Senator Gillibrand chose the nominees from a large group of qualified applicants. Decisions were based on criteria including academic record, leadership potential, and overall achievement. Final acceptance is determined solely by the service academies.
The United States service academies offer a first-class education as well as the chance for young people to serve our country upon graduation as commissioned officers in the United States Armed Services. This year, Senator Gillibrand nominated twelve candidates from Long Island to the service academies.
Senator Gillibrand’s nominees are listed below by their hometown and academies:
- Gina Barbera (Ronkonkoma, Suffolk County) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Austin Cusumano (Deer Park, Suffolk County) – U.S. Air Force Academy
- Jessica DeSena (Lake Grove, Suffolk County) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Ashley Dolan (Smithtown, Suffolk County) – U.S. Military Academy
- Christiana Foster (Baldwin, Nassau County) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Thomas Gabriele (Water Mill, Suffolk County) – U.S. Military Academy
- John Lynch (New Hyde Park, Nassau County) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Matthew Mullahy (Saint James, Suffolk County) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Brian Palacios Paz (Brentwood, Suffolk County) – U.S. Naval Academy
- Connor Ricciardi (Saint James, Suffolk County) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Christopher Soo (New Hyde Park, Nassau County) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- James Willis (Huntington, Suffolk County) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
Next Article Previous Article