Schumer, Gillibrand Announce Over $1.2 Million In Federal Sandy Aid For Town Of North Hempstead’s Manorhaven Beach Park
Manorhaven Beach Park Sits Along the Manhasset Bay in Port Washington & Is Widely Used By Many Town of North Hempstead Residents; Superstorm Sandy Damaged Manorhaven Beach Park’s Recreational Facilities, Tennis Court, Picnic Pavilions And More
U.S. Senators Charles E. Schumer and Kirsten E. Gillibrand today announced over $1.2 million in federal funding for the Town of North Hempstead to make permanent repairs at Manorhaven Beach Park, following Superstorm Sandy. The Public Assistance award is being provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) under authority of Section 406 of the Robert T. Stafford Act.
“The Town of North Hempstead offers its residents access to some of the most beautiful waterfront parks and when Superstorm Sandy damaged Manorhaven Beach Park, along the Manhasset Bay, the Town worked hard to make sure it was repaired,” said Senator Schumer. “This federal funding will help ensure local residents are not on the hook for the permanent repairs made to Manorhaven Beach Park after Superstorm Sandy.”
“This funding helps relieve the burden on North Hempstead tax payers as the town continues to recover from Superstorm Sandy,” said Senator Gillibrand. “Manorhaven Beach park is a recreational asset that was damaged during Superstorm Sandy and this funding will help the town restore the park back to its original state. The repairs to the park’s recreational facilities as well as the pavilions and main building, help bring Manorhaven Beach back to life, so that Long Island families can enjoy all that the park has to offer for generations to come.”
“The $1.2 million FEMA grant will help us restore this vital recreational facility at Manorhaven Beach Park. I am very appreciative of the work done by our federal representatives, Senator Chuck Schumer and Senator Kirsten Gillibrand who were able to secure these funds. The grant will work in conjunction with two existing state grants that we received last year to rebuild the park’s boat ramp and the neighboring property along North Sheets Creek, bringing a total of $2 million in assistance to the park,” said Town of North Hempstead Supervisor Judi Bosworth.
The Town of North Hempstead operates Manorhaven Beach Park in Port Washington. The park sits along Manhasset Bay and is home to a pool complex as well as full outdoor recreation activities, athletic fields, picnic areas, a boat ramp and a playground. After Superstorm Sandy, the Town of North Hempstead hired contractors to complete permanent repairs to the park’s recreational facilities including damaged elements of the tennis court, picnic pavilions, women’s restroom, main building and the surrounding park area. This FEMA Public Assistance of $1,228,200.98, which is 90% of the total cost, will reimburse the Town of North Hempstead for this work. The remaining 10%, also known as the local share, will be paid using federal HUD CDBG funds.
Next Article Previous Article