Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, today announced her nominations of candidates from Long Island to the nation’s leading service institutions – the United States Air Force, Military, Naval and Merchant Marine Academies.
A selection committee formed by Senator Gillibrand chose the nominees from a large group of qualified applicants. Decisions were based on criteria including: academic record, leadership potential, and overall achievement. Final acceptance is determined solely by the service academies.
“These talented New Yorkers have shown honor, dedication and unique skillsets that will make them great assets to our nation’s service academies and armed forces,” said Senator Gillibrand. “Our service academies cultivate top tier officers who are committed to serving our country. I am always honored to nominate courageous men and women with the opportunity to serve in our country’s armed forces.”
The United States service academies offer a first class education as well as a chance for young people to serve our country upon graduation, as commissioned officers in the United States Armed Services.
Senator Gillibrand’s nominees are listed by their hometown and Academies:
- Matteo Acuna (Merrick, Nassau County) – US Merchant Marine Academy
- Corinne Caminske (Sayville, Suffolk County) –US Merchant Marine Academy
- Nina Cartwright (Huntington, Suffolk County) –US Naval Academy
- Jonathan Cruz (Selden, Suffolk County) – US Naval Academy
- Michael Dobkowski (Merrick, Nassau County) – US Merchant Marine Academy
- Yoon Chan Kim (Syosset, Nassau County) – US Air Force Academy
- Michael LoRusso (Hauppauge, Suffolk County) – US Merchant Marine Academy
- Ally McFadyen (Saint James, Suffolk County) – US Merchant Marine Academy
- Aidan Pollock (Greenport, Suffolk County) – US Merchant Marine Academy
- Patrick Simons (Westbury, Nassau County) – US Naval Academy
- Alexander Tosi (Oyster Bay, Nassau County) – US Military Academy
- Thomas Winthrop (Massapequa Park, Nassau County) – US Merchant Marine Academy