Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, today announced her nominations of candidates from the Capital Region to the nation’s leading service institutions – the United States Air Force, Naval and Merchant Marine Academies.
A selection committee formed by Senator Gillibrand chose the nominees from a large group of qualified applicants. Decisions were based on criteria including: academic record, leadership potential, and overall achievement. Final acceptance is determined solely by the service academies.
“Our service academies train and mentor top tier officers who are committed to serving our country,” said Senator Gillibrand. “These talented New Yorkers have shown honor, dedication and unique skillsets that will make them great assets to our nation’s service academies and armed forces. I am always honored to nominate courageous men and women with the opportunity to live their dreams and serve in our country’s armed forces.”
The United States service academies offer a first class education as well as a chance for young people to serve our country upon graduation, as commissioned officers in the United States Armed Services.
Senator Gillibrand’s nominees are listed by their hometown and Academies:
- Christine Hogan (Glens Falls, Warren Co.) – U.S. Naval Academy
- Matthew Chmiel (Greenfield Center, Saratoga Co.) – U.S. Air Force Academy
- Dane Feldhaus (Saratoga Springs, Saratoga Co.) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Leon Wilson (Clifton Park, Saratoga Co.) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Sydney Luke (Eagle Bridge, Washington Co.) – U.S. Air Force Academy