Gillibrand Announces 2018 Service Academy Nominations From Central New York
Gillibrand Nominates Seven Students From Central New York For Service Academies
Washington, DC – U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, today announced her nominations for candidates from Central New York to the nation’s leading service institutions: the United States Air Force, Military, Naval, and Merchant Marine Academies.
A selection committee formed by Senator Gillibrand chose the nominees from a large group of qualified applicants. Decisions were based on criteria including academic record, leadership potential, and overall achievement. Final acceptance is determined solely by the service academies.
“These nominees have taken an extraordinary step. They are committed to serving their country and are on their way toward becoming leaders,” said Senator Gillibrand. “Our service academies cultivate top-tier officers who bravely serve our nation, and it is my honor to nominate such dedicated and talented students to the academies.”
The United States service academies offer a first-class education as well as a chance for young people to serve our country upon graduation as commissioned officers in the United States Armed Services. This year, Senator Gillibrand nominated seven candidates from Central New York to the service academies.
Senator Gillibrand’s nominees are listed by their hometown and academies:
- Ellie Beaulieu (East Syracuse, Onondaga Co.) – U.S. Air Force Academy
- Heidi Edmonds (Cooperstown, Otsego Co.) – U.S. Air Force Academy
- Owen Kennedy (Mt. Vision, Otsego Co.) – U.S. Military Academy
- Macauley Kolonko (Warners, Onondaga Co.) – U.S. Naval Academy
- Kevin Metz (Fayettville, Onondaga Co.) – U.S. Military Academy
- Julie Nguyen (Liverpool, Onondaga Co.) – U.S. Naval Academy
- Christopher Scanlon (Jamesville, Onondaga Co.) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
Next Article Previous Article