Gillibrand Announces 2018 Service Academy Nominations From Long Island
Gillibrand Nominates Nine Students From Long Island For Service Academies
Washington, DC – U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, today announced her nominations for candidates from Long Island to the nation’s leading service institutions: the United States Military, Naval, Merchant Marine, and Air Force Academies.
A selection committee formed by Senator Gillibrand chose the nominees from a large group of qualified applicants. Decisions were based on criteria including academic record, leadership potential, and overall achievement. Final acceptance is determined solely by the service academies.
“These nominees have taken an extraordinary step. They are committed to serving their country and are on their way toward becoming leaders,” said Senator Gillibrand. “Our service academies cultivate top-tier officers who bravely serve our nation, and it is my honor to nominate such dedicated and talented students to the academies.”
The United States service academies offer a first-class education as well as a chance for young people to serve our country upon graduation as commissioned officers in the United States Armed Services. This year, Senator Gillibrand nominated nine candidates from Long Island to the service academies.
Senator Gillibrand’s nominees are listed by their hometown and academies:
- Jack Bishop (West Islip, Suffolk Co.) – U.S. Military Academy
- Taryn Cortes (Sound Beach, Suffolk Co.) – U.S. Naval Academy
- Patrick Darmody (East Islip, Suffolk Co.) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Ashley Dolan (Smithtown, Suffolk Co.) – U.S. Military Academy
- Connor Kaminska (Port Jefferson, Suffolk Co.) – U.S. Naval Academy
- Morgan Modica (Massapequa Park, Suffolk Co.) – U.S. Air Force Academy
- Joseph Stuckart (Cutchogue, Suffolk Co.) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- William DiRubbio (Rockville Centre, Nassau Co.) – U.S. Air Force Academy
- Todd Qiu (Manhasset, Nassau Co.) – U.S. Military Academy
Next Article Previous Article