Washington, DC – U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, today announced her nominations for candidates from the Hudson Valley to three of the nation’s leading service institutions: the United States Air Force, Military, and Naval Academies.
“I am honored to nominate such dedicated and talented students from the Hudson Valley to our nation’s service academies. They have demonstrated exemplary leadership abilities and an outstanding academic record, as well as a passion to serve our nation,” said Senator Gillibrand. “Our service academies cultivate top-tier officers who bravely protect our nation, and I look forward to these nominees’ successes as they further their education and continue their commitment to our country in the armed forces.”
A selection committee formed by Senator Gillibrand chose the nominees from a large group of qualified applicants. Decisions were based on criteria including academic record, leadership potential, and overall achievement. Final acceptance is determined solely by the service academies.
The United States service academies offer a first-class education as well as the chance for young people to serve our country upon graduation as commissioned officers in the United States Armed Services. This year, Senator Gillibrand nominated seven candidates from the Hudson Valley to the service academies.
Senator Gillibrand’s nominees are listed below by their hometown and academies:
- Allison Castillo (Glenham, Dutchess County) – U.S. Air Force Academy
- Christopher Doyle (Chappaqua, Westchester County) – U.S. Military Academy
- Sean Flynn (Newburgh, Orange County) – U.S. Air Force Academy
- Meredith Hickman (New Windsor, Orange County) – U.S. Military Academy
- Benjamin Leicht (North Salem, Westchester County) – U.S. Air Force Academy
- Benjamin Lockey (New City, Rockland County) – U.S. Military Academy
Thomas O’Rourke (Carmel, Putnam County) – U.S. Naval Academy