Washington, DC – U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Ranking Member of the Senate Armed Services Personnel Subcommittee, today announced her nominations for candidates from Central New York to three of the nation’s leading service institutions: the United States Military, Naval, and Air Force Academies.
“Our nation’s service academies cultivate exceptional officers, and it is a privilege to nominate some of the best and brightest students from Central New York to attend these distinguished institutions,” said Senator Gillibrand. “These future leaders have outstanding academic records and a passion for service. I look forward to watching the successes of all of our nominees as they further their education and serve our nation in the armed forces.”
A selection committee formed by Senator Gillibrand chose the nominees from a large group of qualified applicants. Decisions were based on criteria including academic record, leadership potential, and overall achievement. Final acceptance is determined solely by the service academies.
The United States service academies offer a first-class education as well as a chance for young people to serve our country upon graduation as commissioned officers in the United States Armed Services. This year, Senator Gillibrand nominated seven candidates from Central New York to the service academies.
Senator Gillibrand’s nominees are listed below by their hometown and academies:
- Emily Bobrek (Jamesville, Onondaga County) – United States Naval Academy
- Celia Woodruff (Fayetteville, Onondaga County) – United States Air Force Academy
- Abby Brancato (Liverpool, Onondaga County) – United States Military Academy
- Rosaleen Petrella (Liverpool, Onondaga County) – United States Military Academy
- Mikeeli Hanson (Cooperstown, Otsego County) – United States Naval Academy
- Nadia Edley (Port Byron, Cayuga County) – United States Air Force Academy
- David Henderson (Clinton, Oneida County) – United States Air Force Academy