Washington, DC – U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Ranking Member of the Senate Armed Services Personnel Subcommittee, today announced her nominations for candidates from New York City to three of the nation’s leading service institutions: the United States Military, Naval, and Air Force Academies.
“Our nation’s service academies cultivate exceptional officers, and it is a privilege to nominate some of the best and brightest students from New York City to attend these distinguished institutions,” said Senator Gillibrand. “These future leaders have outstanding academic records and a passion for service. I look forward to watching the successes of all of our nominees as they further their education and serve our nation in the armed forces.”
A selection committee formed by Senator Gillibrand chose the nominees from a large group of qualified applicants. Decisions were based on criteria including academic record, leadership potential, and overall achievement. Final acceptance is determined solely by the service academies.
The United States service academies offer a first-class education as well as a chance for young people to serve our country upon graduation as commissioned officers in the United States Armed Services. This year, Senator Gillibrand nominated ten candidates from New York City to the service academies.
Senator Gillibrand’s nominees are listed below by their borough and academies:
- Briana Pereyra (Manhattan) – United States Military Academy
- Gabriel Gendzier-Imperiali (Manhattan) – United States Naval Academy
- Ian Crary (Manhattan) – United States Air Force Academy
- Benjamin Lee (Queens) – United States Air Force Academy
- Kaaya Withanachchi (Queens) – United States Air Force Academy
- Frances Angelo Maala (Queens) – United States Air Force Academy
- Justin Cohen (Brooklyn) – United States Air Force Academy
- Aleksandre Jolia (Brooklyn) – United States Military Academy
- Dalton Chick Penland (Bronx) – United States Naval Academy
- Ricardo Cartagena (Staten Island) – United States Air Force Academy