Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand today introduced the American Parks, American Products Act to the Senate. The bill would require all items sold by National Parks Service gift shops to be produced in the United States.
“This is commonsense legislation to stamp products sold at America’s National Parks with the words ‘Made in America,’” Senator Gillibrand said. “The pride of our National Parks goes hand in hand with the pride of American-made products and our strong manufacturing tradition. The American Parks, American Products Act has the potential to support manufacturing jobs, and showcase American craftsmanship.”
Initially introduced into the House of Representatives by Congressman Steve Israel, the American Parks, American Products Act would require all gift shops operated by the National Parks Service to sell American-made products exclusively. Currently, there are nearly 400 National Parks throughout the United States that welcome 800,000 visitors daily. In New York State alone, there are 22 national parks that greeted over 16 million visitors in 201, and generated nearly $500 million for local economies in 2010.
The National Parks Service Commercial Services Program has more than 500 concession contracts that generate over $1 billion annually.
Below is a list of the National Parks in New York State that would be affected by this legislation:
- Long Island: Fire Island, Sagamore Hill
- New York City: African Burial Ground National Monument, Castle Clinton National Monument, Ellis Island, Federal Hall, General Grant National Memorial, Governors Island Monument, Hamilton Grange National Memorial, Lower East Side Tenement Museum, Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace, Statue of Liberty National Monument
- Westchester: Saint Paul’s Church National Historic Site
- Hudson Valley: Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site, Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt National Historic Site, Thomas Cole National Historic Site, Vanderbilt Mansion National Historic Site
- Capital Region: Martin Van Buren National Historic Site, Saratoga National Historical Park
- Central New York: Fort Stanwix National Monument
- Finger Lakes: Women’s Rights National Historical Park
- Western New York: Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural National Historic Site