Rochester, N.Y. – U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand today urged the National Park Service to place Lincoln Gardens on the National Register of Historic Places. This designation would expand opportunities for federal historic tax credits and other resources to support future preservation and development initiatives. Lincoln Gardens, formally known as Lincoln Elementary School, has been a landmark in the City of Hornell since its construction in 1924. The school closed in 1979 and was temporarily used as an adjunct facility for St. James Mercy Hospital. The site is currently undergoing structural renovations to a 25-unit apartment complex for senior citizens and persons with physical disabilities or traumatic brain injuries.
“Over the last ninety years, Lincoln Gardens has had a long and illustrious history serving the people of Hornell as a public school, and subsequently as a housing development,” said Senator Gillibrand. “The inclusion of this building to the National Register of Historic Places is a tribute to the area’s long-time commitment to education and community development.”
“The City of Hornell is excited for new life within the Lincoln Gardens building,” said Mayor Shawn Hogan. “The building is very important to our redevelopment and will allow for much needed housing options in our community. And this push to list Lincoln Gardens on the National Register will also preserve its place in our history while giving us more opportunities for federal investment.”
The full text of Senator Gillibrand’s letter to the National Park Service Director included below.
Jonathan B. Jarvis
National Park Service
1849 C Street NW
Washington, DC 20240
Dear Director Jarvis,
I write in support of the candidacy of the Lincoln Gardens Housing Development in Hornell, NY for placement on the National Park Service’s National Register of Historic Places. This building has a long and illustrious history serving the people of Hornell, New York, first as a school house, and subsequently as a housing development.
Lincoln Gardens, formally known as Lincoln Elementary School, has been a landmark in the town of Hornell since its construction in 1924. The building is a significant work of twentieth century architecture exhibiting design features that include dark colored brick walls and flat roofing, as well as one-story arched entrance ways and grouped windows in every classroom. Due to a declining population, the school closed in 1979 and was temporarily used as an adjunct facility for St. James Mercy Hospital.
Currently being converted into a housing development, Lincoln Gardens demonstrates the area’s commitment to education and community. While it is no longer a school, the site will continue to serve the citizens of Hornell in its current capacity as a 25-unit apartment complex for senior citizens and persons with physical disabilities or traumatic brain injuries. The Lincoln building is a distinguished structure and a great example of a 1920s elementary school in a small Western New York community. Inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places will highlight the building’s role as an anchor site for the community and to the dedication of the citizens of Hornell to maintaining their historic sites.
United States Senator