Gillibrand Announces 2021 Service Academy Nominations From Long Island
Gillibrand Nominates Eight Students from Long Island for Service Academies
U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Personnel Subcommittee, today announced her nominations for candidates from Long Island to three of the nation’s leading service institutions: the United States Military, Naval, and Merchant Marine Academies.
“It is my honor to nominate these talented young leaders to our nation’s service academies. These New Yorkers have demonstrated leadership and a strong desire to pursue a career of service to our nation, and they will go on to become the future leaders of our armed forces,” said Senator Gillibrand. “I look forward to their success as they continue to represent New York long into the future.”
A selection committee formed by Senator Gillibrand chose the nominees from a large group of qualified applicants. Decisions were based on criteria including academic record, leadership potential, and overall achievement. Final acceptance is determined solely by the service academies.
The United States service academies offer a first-class education as well as a chance for young people to serve our country upon graduation as commissioned officers in the United States Armed Services. This year, Senator Gillibrand nominated eight candidates from Long Island to the service academies.
Senator Gillibrand’s nominees are listed below by their hometown and academies:
- Olivia Zhang (Islip Terrace, Suffolk Co.) – U.S. Military Academy
- Joseph Mazzarella (Moriches, Suffolk Co.) – U.S. Naval Academy
- Olivia Niewiadomski (Aquebogue, Suffolk Co.) – U.S. Naval Academy
- Eric Gollinge (Lindenhurst, Suffolk Co.) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Kristal Soo (New Hyde Park, Nassau Co.) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Matthew Micalizzi (East Islip, Suffolk Co.) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Catarina Chelius (Northport, Suffolk Co.) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- Julianna Villella (Melville, Suffolk Co.) – U.S. Naval Academy
Next Article Previous Article