U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, incoming Chair of the Senate Armed Services Personnel Subcommittee, today announced her nominations for candidates from the Hudson Valley to four of the nation’s leading service institutions: the United States Military, Naval, Air Force, and Merchant Marine Academies.
“It is my honor to nominate these talented young leaders to our nation’s service academies,” said Senator Gillibrand. “These New Yorkers have demonstrated leadership and a strong desire to pursue a career of service to our nation. I’m proud to nominate these dedicated, passionate individuals and I look forward to watching their success.”
A selection committee formed by Senator Gillibrand chose the nominees from a large group of qualified applicants. Decisions were based on criteria including academic record, leadership potential, and overall achievement. Final acceptance is determined solely by the service academies.
The United States service academies offer a first-class education as well as a chance for young people to serve our country upon graduation as commissioned officers in the United States Armed Services. This year, Senator Gillibrand nominated 10 candidates from the Hudson Valley to the service academies.
Senator Gillibrand’s nominees are listed below by their hometown and academies:
- Giovanni Biondo (Pound Ridge, Westchester Co.) – U.S. Military Academy
- Sabrina Ellis (Poughkeepsie, Dutchess Co.) – U.S. Military Academy
- Steven Trombetta (Suffern, Rockland Co.) – U.S. Military Academy
- Macie Marinich (Brewster, Putnam Co.) – U.S. Military Academy
- Virginia Lilly (Scarsdale, Westchester Co.) – U.S. Naval Academy
- Kathryn Kelly (Red Hook, Dutchess Co.) – U.S. Naval Academy
- Angelica Tripodianos (Campbell Hall, Orange Co.) – U.S. Naval Academy
- Maggie Mahoney (Carmel, Putnam Co.) – U.S. Air Force Academy
- Riley Arns (Middletown, Orange Co.) – U.S. Air Force Academy
- Luke Arena (Bedford, Westchester Co.) – U.S. Merchant Marine Academy